Thursday, December 4, 2025

How to meet your neighbors

 I locked myself in the basement tonight while doing laundry.  I mean, i could have gotten outside, but i had flip flops on and the back deck is covered in ice along with the backyard.  And once i got outside, what was i going to do?  I had no phone.  

After considering breaking my back door down, which i suppose i could have - i started knocking on doors.  My basement has three separate staircases, each going up to a different 4 apartments.  There are a total of 12 apartments in my building.  SOMEONE would answer the backdoor that no-one ever goes to, surely?  After 4 apartments, i started to get anxious.  I never go downstairs without my phone dammit, why did i do it tonight????

Finally a young man answered.  Imagine.  Some old lady knocking on your backdoor asking to use your phone.  And then staying for an hour. In fairness, i was going to go wait in the basement for maintenance (who was not on site tonight) to come and unlock me.  But he offered for me to stay.  I had already begun talking to his kitty cats and ....mice.  What a nice young man, single, 30, and an animal lover.  I talked his ear off, we discussed the shit talking squirrels that visit us on the back deck and bears that make keeping our sliding glass doors open a little risky.  And the gym.  And dating.  And family.  

The kid has the patience of a saint.  And he was raised right.  

So now i'm going to buy him a case of Modelo as a thank you.  Thank you Justin.  You are a knight in shining armer.  You give me faith in humanity.

Now, back to laundry. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The latest

don't go by pictures

 Toms facebook picture is awful.  Truly awful.  And when i found him on facebook i couldn't care less what his picture looked like. It w...